This blog post is all bout getting a Turkey Transit / Tourist Visa in the Philippines specifically for Philippine passport holders without valid US, UK, and Schengen visa stamps on their passports. The Turkish Embassy in the Philippines only issues transit visas to seafarers, meaning, if you are a regular traveler with a long transit/layover in Istanbul or anywhere in Turkey, then you will still have to secure a tourist visa. Again, you need a tourist visa even if you are staying in Turkey for less than 24 hours. If you are not planning of going out of the airport, then there’s no need to apply for a visa. If you do leave the airport, a visa will be needed. The good news is that Philippine citizens can get the eVisa for Turkey.
This is a sad reality I experienced. I did an in-depth research but I did not encounter any information about this. The official website of the Turkish Embassy in the Philippines did not specify this certain requirement for getting a transit visa. I set up an appointment on their website and it did not mention that a transit visa is only issued to seafarers. So, I was surprised when the secretary at the embassy informed me about it. I wasted my time. The only purpose I traveled from Davao to Manila was to secure a Turkey Transit Visa but it’s beyond my control so I accepted it with an open heart, LOL!
I only have a 20-hour layover in Istanbul so instead of going back to Davao and then back to Manila to secure the rest of the requirements to get a tourist visa, I decided to let it go. But, for you who are looking into getting a Turkish Tourist Visa, here’s the process and requirements.
- Gather all the required documents: Passport, 2×2 Photo, Hotel Reservations, Round Trip Airplane Tickets, Proof of Income (ITR, Employment Certificate, and Bank Certificate addressed to the Turkish Embassy Consul), Proof of Intent to Return to the Philippines such as Land Registry Certificates, Leave Approval Form from your HR and others that you think will help your application. You will also need to get travel insurance. I got mine from World Nomads.
- For easy reference, group your documents into seven: Photo (scanned in jpeg) Original will be submitted to the embassy during the appointment; Printed Application Form; Proof of income; Flight Reservations; Hotel Reservations; Intent to Return; and Travel Insurance.
- Visit www.visa.gov.tr and do an appointment for your visa application. Fill in the form and upload the scanned documents that you have prepared. The photo should be in a jpeg file while the rest should be in a pdf file.
- Confirm your appointment. The site will prompt you with your scheduled visit to the embassy. Make sure to print a copy because the security personnel of Dasmarinas Village may look for it.
- Make sure you have prepared all the hard copies of the required documents. Prepare USD60 or the equivalent in Philippine Peso. Also, make sure you have an extra Php150 for the shuttle fare to and from the Turkish Embassy.
- Appointment Day. The shuttle service is every 30 minutes so make sure you are at the Dasmarinas Village gate early. The embassy is not so strict about the appointment time so do not worry if you are a little late.
- The entrance is near the Magallanes MRT Station on the Alphaland side. Inform the guard on duty that you are going to the Turkish Embassy. You will need to log your name and leave a valid ID. Ride the shuttle. It will stop in the admin building where you need to pay Php150 for the transportation cost. The driver will inform you if you reach the Turkish Embassy. The shuttle also goes to the other embassies inside the village.
- Click the doorbell at the Embassy gate, then log your name again and leave your bag and cell phone at the guard station.
- Enter the embassy and someone will assist you from there. He will call your attention once the secretary is ready to entertain you.
TURKEY TOURIST/BUSINESS VISA REQUIREMENTS
- Duly completed Application Form with (2) photographs. (Photo size should be about 2 x 2 inches (5 x 5 cm) square with white background. Do not staple or glue the photo to the application form. Please make sure it is not damaged)
- Original Passport – valid for 6 months prior to departure and photocopy of the first 2 pages of the passport (Kindly attach old passport)
- Certificate of Employment including applicant’s position, working record, and monthly/annual income;
- Individual Latest Income Tax Return
- Company’s Latest Income Tax Return if travel is the company’s expense;
- Original Copy of NSO Birth Certificate
- FOR BUSINESSMAN/WOMAN – Company Business Registration such as SEC and DTI
- Original Bank Deposit Certificate addressed to the Embassy and Passbook;
- If Invited by:
- Government or Private Sector and International Companies or Institutions holding office in Turkey – Original Invitation Letter addressed to the Embassy
- Turkish National – Original Invitation Letter should be notarized in Turkey, Affidavit of support and pertinent credentials of the invitee together with the Turkish I.D’s and other supporting documents.
- Hotel Accommodation Booking Certificate. Recommended Hotels in Istanbul.
- Itinerary Flight Details
- Travel Insurance
This Post Has 40 Comments
Very useful information. Thank you
hello. are philippine passport holders eligible as well for e-visa? or personal appearance is reqd? thank you
Evisa is available for Philippine passport holders with a valid US/Schengen visa
Is travel insurance mandatory?
Hello, Maya! Yes, it is mandatory.
Thank you for the response and for such a detailed article!
Hi, me and my partner is planning to go to Turkey this coming April. I have a question regarding on the plane ticket. Do we really need to book a flight already? What if our visa gets denied? Also, where do i get this requiremen “Original Bank Deposit Certificate addressed to the Embassy and Passbook” ?
Hi, I am a Philippine Passport Holder and I do have a 19hr layover in Istanbul. I want to check if I understood the details above. I booked a flight via turkish airlines to Bogota, Colombia. I don’t have plans of getting out from the airport, I might checkin to their lounge hotels there. I don’t need to obtain a visa for my situation right? Can I still take my checked in luggage with me to the lounge area or no?
Hello Maureen, you can stay at the airport but you will not be able to get your checked-in baggage until you reach your final destination, which in your case, Bogota.
Hello! So just to confirm as long as I will not leave the airport premises during my layover a visa is not required right??
Hi! Do I need a visa (Philippine Passport holder with UK visa) if I will avail the free city tour of Turkish Airline for long lay over?
Hello Celine! You can get an e-Visa online prior to your trip.
Hi!! How many month/s before my flight can I apply for a visa?
if I have a schengen visa and I have a 2hour layover .and not leaving the airport.do I still need an e visa or not anymore
Not anymore as long as you do not get out of the airport.
Thank you for the comprehensive guide, total life saver. A few questions though;
1. For single tourist visa, is it still 60 USD as of Aug 2019? I know I should call the embassy to confirm but they are already closed today Fri after business and Mon is a holiday. I have an appointment on Aug 27.
2. Are you supposed to glue the 2×2 photo in the completed application form?
Thank you very much and looking forward.
Hello Marlon. Not sure about the fee since my experience was last year. They seldom increase the fee so it’s probably the same. To be sure, just bring extra cash.
Hi! So, just to confirm. We Filipino passport holder don’t need Transit Visa for a layover in Istanbul, just don’t leave the transit area, right? We are planning to fly from Vietnam to Bogota, Colombia via Turkish Airlines.
That is correct.
Hi! Thank you for the inputs. I have an 18 hour layover in Istanbul via Turkish airlines and would like to avail the airlines’ free tour. Since there’s no transit visa for Filipino passport holders and I need to secure a tourist visa, is it okay if I don’t have the hotel accommodation? Thanks.
I am going Dublin Sir with Passport, I only have 2 hrs layover do I need any visa for my connecting flight?
No need as long as you will not go out of the airport.
Hello escapemanila, if travelling by turkish airline economy class, can i avail a free hotel in istanbul for layover? Plan to travel to bogota transit at istanbul from manila.thanks😊
You can only avail of the free hotel if you have a turkish visa. If you don’t have a visa, you can stay inside the airport. It’s big so you’ll find a place to sleep.
Hello maureen, i hope you can still read this post. Im also travelling to bogota this feb ’20. My concern is what sort of documents do i need present to phil immigration as im going to travel without visa. Im going to meet my husband and his family there in bogota. Somebody told me i need to apply for eTA In the airport. How true is this? Because i searched eTA is for canada, US, UK, Australia(not so sure). And for travelling to colombia dont require visa and as well dont need transit visa in istanbul airport. Hope you enlighten me with this. Thanks a lot😊
Hi Cristy! My travel to Bogota was a success! I didn’t get out of the Airport so I had to stay 19 hours to their lounge before my next flight. The baggage counter in Manila airport immediately advised me that I don’t need a visa for a stay not longer than 24hrs at the airport of Istanbul. My flight from Manila to Bogota was very smooth. I am not married yet, all I had that time was passport, certificate of employment, my itinerary and banking statement and hotel accommodation in Bogota. No questions were asked to me from Manila to Bogota airports. Just want to let you know that when you go back to Manila you may be treated a little bit different. My flight was Bogota- Brazil- Manila and then find it odd for some reason. They thought I was smuggling drugs or something because it is very unusual to for Filipinos to go to Colombia. When I landed to Brazil (from Bogota) it was very late and the security approached me and they have my name. They searched my bags (I was too scared because I didn’t want anybody to touch my belongings- dont trust anyone). Anyway I passed the security check. I thought everything was fine but I as soon as I landed to Manila airport I immediately noticed security around our aircraft. As soon as I hit the immigration, one officer approached me and asked for my flight number as if they are really waiting for me. They invited to an interrogation room” with PDEA, police and dogs and they collected all my bags and opened while they are taking videos. Totally the most scary experience of my life. I have been traveling for years and been to different countries and that was the first time. The officer talked to me and said that it is their procedure since Bogota and Brazil are the most prone countries for drugs. So everything was sorted that night they apologized as they saw me shaking but totally understand that they are just doing their job. I didnt write this to scare you but just want to share this you can be careful wherever you go. Never ever have someone touch your bags.
What an experience! Thanks for sharing this. It’s really scary. I had similar experience in Havana, Cuba on my way to Mexico. I was body scanned and my backpack was scrutinized. My things and my hands were also swabbed. Scary but I remained calm. One of the worst and scariest experience.
Wow. Speechless. Now im scared lol.but anyway thanks for the warnings at least i will know how to handle the situation in case it will happen to me. Thanks maureen. Thanks escapemanila for the info😊
Enjoy your trip! I love Colombia. The coffee is sooo good! <3
Hi I am filipino passporte holder. I have 36hours lay over in istanbul airport going to abidjan Ivory coast. Do I need to get transit visa? Even I don’t have plan to go out at the airport? Please help. Thankyou
If you are not going out of the airport, then you do not need a transit visa.
Hello regarding seafarers. Can the agent arrange Turkish visa for them. Since they will stay first for 10 days from norway before going to turkey.
Hi. We just bought a ticket from lima to manila.
Does a filipino passport holder needs to secure transit visa???
We have 9 hours and 30mins lay over in stanbul
Hello! No need for a visa po if you do not have plans to go out of the airport.
Hello! Re securing Turkish transit/tourist visa, it is unlikely that a regular Filipino passenger of Turkish airlines can get a tourist visa just to avail a short tour during long layover in Istanbul. Right? But what is the best way kaya? hehe
Yes, not unless you have a US or Schengen visa. If none, you need to apply for a regular visa even if you only plan to go out for few hours.
Hi – can I use the same Travel insurance that I will submit for Schengen visa and Turkish Visa? The insurance will cover the dates of my travel on these countries / region.