Our Kalanggaman Island Travel Guide, ideal for budget travelers and backpackers who want to experience the beauty of this island in Eastern Visayas. Last updated on July 26, 2022.
Kalanggaman Island is undoubtedly one of the Jewels of Eastern Visayas. It’s one of the most talked-about destinations in the region attracting hundreds of visitors every day. Luckily, the local government unit of Palompon where Kalanggaman Island belongs to has acted proactively regulating the number of daily visitors to the island making it a sustainable tourism destination. [Related Topic: Sambawan Island Travel Guide]
This is our Kalanggaman Island Travel Guide. We hope this will help you plan your visit to this gorgeous island.
How to get to Kalanggaman Island?
From Palompon. Take a boat to Kalanggaman Island. The travel time is around an hour. The new boat rental fees are shown below:
If you are traveling solo just like me or in a small group, you can tell the tourism office staff that you are alone or in a small group and she will find a group where you can join. Then, she or you can ask the group if they would allow you to share a boat with them and divide the cost accordingly. I was lucky that the group that I joined had one more slot in the boat capacity so I was able to join them. I am really thankful to them for allowing me to share a ride with their boat.
From Malapascua Island. Ask your resort for a tour package to Kalanggaman. They normally have an individual rate for a shared boat that usually leaves Malapascua in the morning and arrives back in the afternoon.
From Manila. Fly to Ormoc City or Tacloban City. From there, follow the instructions below. You can also take a bus from Manila to Tacloban or Ormoc if you fancy traveling on a long journey. You can book your flight or bus ticket below or check here. The flight frequency from Manila to Ormoc is very limited so a good option is to fly to Tacloban.
From Tacloban. Take a van to Palompon from Tacloban. Travel time is around 3 hours and the
From Ormoc. Take a van to Palompon from Ormoc City. Travel time is around 2 hours and the
From Naval. Take an Ormoc-bound van and alight in Libungao Junction. Travel time is around 1.5hours and the fare is Php150. From Libungao Junction, take another van to Palompon. Travel time is around an hour and the
From Davao. Fly to Cebu then follow the instructions above or take a bus to Tacloban or Ormoc. Travel time by bus is around 24 hours and the
Kalanggaman Island Day Tour Rates (Entrance / Conservation Fee)
- Palompon residents Php50
- Foreign tourists: Php500 (USD9)
- Non-Palompon local tourist: Php150
- Non-Palompon college student: Php40
- Non-Palompon high school student: Php30
- Non-Palompon elementary student: Php20
- Senior citizens: Php120
Kalanggaman Island Overnight Rates (Entrance / Conservation Fee)
- Palompon residents Php75
- Foreign tourists: Php750 (USD14)
- Non-Palompon local tourist: Php225
- Non-Palompon college student: Php60
- Non-Palompon high school student: Php45
- Non-Palompon elementary student: Php30
- Senior citizens: Php180
Kalanggaman Island Tour Reservations and Daily Visitor Limit
The LGU of Palompon limits the number of tourists to 500 per day to preserve its natural beauty. So, you must call the Palompon Eco-Tourism Office hotline below to reserve your visit to the island.
- Landline: (053) 555 9737
- Smart/TNT- 09125714961
- Globe/TM – 09369493871
Kalanggaman Island Amenities and Activities
- There are open cottages for rent at
- Small Php300
- Medium Php500
- Large Php800
- There are also beach chairs for rent at Php50
- There are shower areas but freshwater is not available. The boat operator will provide you with a couple of containers with fresh water which you can use. You can shower when you are back at the eco-tourism office.
- There are cooking areas on the island.
- A store that sells basic necessities at a higher cost is also on the island.
- You can do kayaking, scuba diving, beach volleyball, and snorkeling while on the island.
KALANGGAMAN ISLAND ITINERARY AND EXPENSES
- Depart Naval at 6:30 am, van fare to Libungao junction
- Arrived in Libungao Junction at 8 am
- Took a van to Palompon at 8:30 am
- Arrived in Palompon at 8:30 am
- Left Palompon to Kalanggaman at 10 am via shared boat Php5,000/25, Php200each
- Bought food for lunch and snacks at the eco-tourism canteen Php500
- Arrived in Kalanggaman Island at around 11 am
- Island time / Rented a beach chair for Php50
- Left Kalanggaman Island at 4 pm
- Arrived back in Palompon at 5 pm
- Left Palompon to Ormoc at 6 pm
Travel Notes and Tips
- Only swim in the designated swimming areas. Swimming in the sandbar is prohibited due to the strong current.
- Soap and shampoo are not allowed on the island, you can wash up when you get back to the eco-tourism office in mainland Palompon
- Bring food and water
- No electricity on the island so charge up while on the mainland.
- Be a responsible traveler. Palompon is strictly implementing waste segregation management. An eco-tourism staff will provide each boat a white and a black bag to segregate your trash into biodegradable and non-biodegradable.
Watch our Video of the Jewels of Eastern Visayas
Don’t forget to hit the SUBSCRIBE button.
HOTELS IN ORMOC: Where to stay in Ormoc City?
Hotel Don Felipe
Inaki A. Larrazabal St. cor Bonifacio St. Ormoc City (Check rates, reviews, and availability)
Did we miss anything? Is there any information listed above that has changed? Let us know in the comment section below. Let us help our fellow travelers get a piece of updated and accurate information.