Located north of Cuzco, a former city-state which was once the seat of the Incan civilization’s power over its territories, lies an expanse of land known for its lower elevation, warmer temperature, and a perfect environment to growing crops.
Ollantaytambo is a jump-off of most people traveling from Cusco to Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu. Travelers can take a train via Peru Rail or Inca Rail.
How to get to the Sacred Valley from Cusco?
Going to the Sacred Valley is quite easy. There are basically two roads that link Cusco to Sacred Valley, to the town of Pisac and Urubumba.
Cusco is the closest airport to the Sacred Valley, so, you must fly to Cusco and take a bus, collectivo or taxi from there traveling down to the Sacred Valley.
Buses: Buses depart daily from Cusco going to the town of Pisac and Urubamba. From Urubamba, buses depart daily every hour to the town of Ollantaytambo. Bus tickets cost around 3-4 Soles.
Collectivo: Taking a collectivo is another popular option for locals and visitors wanting to go to the Sacred Valley from Cusco. These are taxis or mini buses where you can share with random passengers. Fares costs around 5-6 Soles.
Taxi: Taxis are the most convenient way of public transport going to the Sacred Valley from Cusco. The cost is around 40-60 Soles depending on where you want to go.
Booking a tour: Booking a tour to go to the Sacred Valley is what travelers usually do. It’s convenient and you will be able to visit all the four sites in the Sacred Valley without worrying of the transportation. You can book a Full Day Sacred Valley Tour online.
- The Road to Latin America : An Intro to Our Adventure in Bogota + Expenses
- A Taste of the Caribbean in Varadero, Cuba
- First Time in CUBA : A Tale of A Filipino Travel Blogger
- Cancun : A Beach Paradise in Mexico
- First time in MEXICO : Itinerary, Expenses and Travel Tips
- What to See from Chichen Itza, Vestige of the Ancient Maya
- Turibus Mexico: How to Explore Mexico City by Turibus
- Copacabana to Isla del Sol : Pilgrimage to the Ancient Inca Holy Site
- Salar de Uyuni : Heaven’s Mirror on Earth
- First time in BOLIVIA : Itinerary, Expenses and Travel Tips
- Lake Titicaca : A Full Day Itinerary
- Cusco : A UNESCO World Heritage Site
- A Visit to the Sacred Valley of the Incas
- A Journey to the Incan Elite City of Machu Picchu